WHERE WE COLLECT PERSONAL INFORMATION
We collect your personal information in the following ways:
When you give it to us directly
You may have provided us with your personal information directly. Examples include:
- In person or through the post
- Enquiring about venues, events, shop, café, through our website or by telephone
- Through social media
- Signing up to receive emails about our events Fundraising or donating to us
- Applying for a job or volunteering with us.
When you give it to us indirectly
When you engage with the RISC social media accounts, we might also obtain your personal information through your use of platforms such as Facebook, Twitter or Instagram, depending on your settings or the privacy notices of these social media and messaging services. To change your settings, please refer to their privacy notices, which will tell you how to do this.
When you visit our websites or social media
The information which RISC obtains shall be entirely dependent on how you use the website and its services. The information, which can be gained generally, falls into two categories: personal and non-personal. For general browsing of the website you are not required to enter any details and therefore information gained will only be non-personal, which does not identify you. For instance, the IP address from which the website was accessed, the pages viewed and any files which were downloaded. RISC does not keep or use this information.
Your personal information such as name and email address will only be accessed or acquired if disclosed to RISC for subscription or payment purposes.
When your information is available publicly
We might gather publicly available information to get speakers who may be able to give public talks on the issues RISC highlights.
RISC as main coordinator of Reading International Development Forum and Reading Fair Trade Network (consisting of local autonomous groups and voluntary and statuary organizations) involved in annual joint events, we will gather relevant information available publicly.
WHAT PERSONAL INFORMATION WE COLLECT
We collect relevant personal information depending on the interaction you have with us. This might include (but isn’t limited to) your title, name, contact details and preferences, how you choose to support us, for example: taking a campaign action, organising events, donating or fundraising, ordering resources, signing up to receive our emails, taking part in competitions or surveys, registering to come to events or engaging with us through our social media pages.
Personal information is anything that can be used to identify you as an individual. It can include your name, email address, postal address, telephone number, bank account details, credit/debit card details and whether you are a UK tax payer (so that we can claim Gift Aid).
We will continue to make personal physical and digital data safe, secure and never shared with a 3rd party.
Credit, debit card payment information
If you use your credit or debit card to buy something from us, donate or fundraise for us, we will ensure that this is done securely and in accordance with the Payment Card Industry Data Security Standard (PCI DSS). To find out more about PCI DSS standards, visit their website at www.pcisecuritystandards.org. Following the completion of your transaction, card details and validation codes are securely destroyed once the payment or donation has been processed.
HOW WE USE YOUR PERSONAL INFORMATION
We may use your personal information in the following ways:
- To provide support in relation to our services, products or other information requested by you, or in relation to correspondence entered with us. For example, we use your personal information to investigate, and respond to, enquiries, complaints, or other issues.
- To process purchases (as well as send them), donations (including claiming Gift Aid), as well as to verify any transactions entered into with us.
- To administer events, purchases, donations, fundraising or any other support required or where required or authorised by law to do so.
- We use your information to keep a record of your relationship with us and for administrative purposes (such as our accounting and record-keeping). We also use your personal information to advise you on updates and changes to our services or policies.
- To update you on our events and activities at RISC.
- To ensure we know how you prefer to be contacted.
- For raising awareness, inviting you to events, sharing posts, signing campaign actions by mail, email, phone or social media to send you information about our latest news, campaigns.
- We also use personal information to administer employment, volunteering and internship applications.
Legal basis for processing personal information
The law allows personal data to be legally collected and used by an organisation if it is necessary for a legitimate interest of the organisation - if its use is fair and balanced and does not unduly impact the rights of the individual concerned. If you want to change our use of your personal data, you can do so at any time by contacting us email@example.com or on 0118 958 6692 stating clearly which area of RISC’s work you are connected with. e.g.:
- Room hire
- Office & flats hire
- Roof garden network
- Events programme
- RISC events programme
- Reading International Festival
- Reading Fairtrade Fortnight
- Film Club
- Book Club
- Café events
- World Shop
- Formal Education team
HOW WE KEEP YOUR PERSONAL INFORMATION SAFE AND WHO HAS ACCESS TO IT
At the RISC, we take data protection very seriously and have taken steps to further secure your digital and physical data.
Once we have your personal information, we do everything in our power to ensure that we have the systems and processes in place internally to safely keep it.
As mentioned above, only authorised staff and volunteers have access to your personal information, and only if essential. They are trained and understand the policies, processes and protocol for keeping it safe.
There are times when our emails to you or our website may contain links to other external sites. We try to ensure that these organisation’s sites are respectable, but we are not responsible for their privacy policies. Check their privacy notice to learn more.
HOW LONG WE KEEP YOUR PERSONAL INFORMATION
We will retain your personal information for as long as reasonably necessary for the relevant activity and relationship you have with us, as well as for any legal or regulatory requirement. For example, we will keep a record of your donations for seven years if you have opted in to Gift Aid, to comply with HMRC rules.
HOW TO ACCESS CORRECT OR DELETE YOUR PERSONAL INFORMATION
Data protection legislation allows you to request a copy of the personal information relating to you, which is kept by RISC. Please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org if you would like to submit a request. If you would like to:
- Tell us that your contact details have changed
- Advise us that we have out-of-date or inaccurate details about you
- Ask us to stop sending you information or communications
- Have your details removed from our database
Please email us at email@example.com or call us on +44 (0)118 9586692 between 9am and 4pm, Monday to Friday. We endeavour to amend or update your contact details and communications preferences as soon as possible after you make your request, however you should expect the approximately 2 weeks for the change to take effect.
CHANGES TO THIS NOTICE AND QUESTIONS ABOUT THIS NOTICE
We will regularly review and update our privacy notice at our discretion. Any significant changes to the way we treat your personal information will be made clear on our website and/or we may contact you directly if possible. Ensure you keep up to date with our privacy notice intermittently, or any time you provide personal information. This privacy notice was last updated in May 2018. If you have any questions, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org